Did you know the average employee spends almost 60% of their life working? It’s true! We spend as much (or more) of our adult lives working as we do sleeping, which is why it’s important we make sure our workplace can help us be healthy and happy.
Here are a few tips to help you stay healthy at work:
- Brown-bag it: Bring a lunch from home and avoid the vending machine or café in the building. Your waistline (and your wallet) will thank you.
- Start a walking group: When you commit to walking with your colleagues, you’re more likely to get up from your desk and move. Walking buddies keep you accountable! You can download lots of free apps to help track your steps if you don’t have a pedometer, and aim to get 10,000 steps daily.
- Hold standing meetings: Sitting is the new smoking, or so they say. Standing meetings tend to move faster (YAY!) and, if you’re able, standing is much better for you than simply sitting. Bonus points if you take a walk around the block to discuss that important project.
- Take a trip to the water cooler: Get your office news and hydrate – plus a few steps! Staying well-hydrated is a great way to avoid mindless desk snacking, as we often mistake thirst for hunger cues.
- Think ergonomic: Make sure your computer screen is at eye level, be mindful of your posture and make sure you move regularly.
From our friends at innoviCares